Orthopedic specialists often rely on x-rays and MRIs to get an “inside look” at the source of their patients’ pain. Some also use ultrasound.
But not all orthopedists are trained and registered to perform musculoskeletal ultrasound (RSMK). Dr. Kellum has been trained in and uses musculoskeletal ultrasound for precise and specific image-guided injections for his regenerative medicine procedures of stem cells and platelet-rich plasma.
Ultrasounds capture images of the body’s soft tissues by using harmless high-frequency sound waves. But musculoskeletal ultrasound offers several distinct advantages to practitioners who treat orthopedic injuries.
How Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Is Different
When trying to diagnose the exact source of a patient’s orthopedic pain, musculoskeletal ultrasound is particularly helpful because:
- Muscle and joint movements can be assessed in real-time.
- Tendon and ligament tears that are often missed with MRIs can be accurately diagnosed.
- Unlike MRIs, surgical hardware such as screws or rods do not interfere with the ability to see soft tissue injuries.
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound can identify tissue swelling and inflammation, which provides for greater accuracy, safety, and comfort when performing joint, tendon, and nerve injections.
- The healing effects of regenerative Platelet Rich Plasma or Cell-based (adipose or bone marrow concentrate) injections can be identified and confirmed.
Why Don’t All Orthopedic Practices Use MSK?
To be registered in musculoskeletal ultrasound imaging, practitioners must complete a rigorous exam and provide documentation of their clinical musculoskeletal ultrasound experience.[i] Once registered and certified, the practice of musculoskeletal ultrasound requires years of training to perfect.
And the technology is expensive. Our diagnostic musculoskeletal ultrasound lab provides the most detailed visualization possible of joints, tendons, muscles and nerves. Combined with our medical expertise, this means Nashville Regenerative Orthopedics’ patients receive targeted diagnoses and treatments that deliver the powerful healing properties of orthobiologics right to the source of their pain and injury.